There will be a growing need to adapt many of Scotland’s buildings and outdoor spaces in the years ahead. This could mean retrofitting existing buildings as well as designing new buildings to be more resilient.
- More frequent, intense rainfall could block gutters, create more flash floods and increase run off.
- Wetter winters will cause ground water levels to rise and prolong the saturation of masonry.
- Wind driven rain will penetrate walls and under roof coverings.
- Hotter, drier summers will crack hard materials, cause warping of timber products and ground shrinkage.
- Warmer winters will create a higher internal humidity and increase moss and algae growth.